My Favorite Quotes

  1. "Whatever you do, do it well."



  2. "Of all the things I ever lost, I miss my mind the most."



  3. "The box says: 'Shut up Steve'."

About Me

My photo
Married with six children and 11 grandchildren. retired from USN in 1988 with 30 years of active service.

Friday, July 10, 2009

Poetry 101 - Boxes in the Mind

About five years ago I went through a period of personal growth (I think), that was accompanied by an overwhelming compulsion to put pen to paper and write poems that just seemed to fit whatever I had running through my head that day. When I started this blog I included one whenever the mood struck me and I have decided to revive the practise. Here goes Poetry 101, penned to reflect the chaos of that day. Of course as time has passed I have no idea what it was. Thanks for listening...

Would it not be easier
If we had boxes in our minds.

One box for home and one for work
Another for surprise to find.

A box for play and one for sleep
Maybe one to shout and leap.

If only we could live
In one box at a time.

Alas we always in the others
Seem to want to climb.

The boxes in a row do sit
The lids however do not fit.

The boxes only work
If we keep them far apart.

But then our lives would not calm be
But hardened at the heart.

The Old Guy
16 Mar 2001

No comments: