My Favorite Quotes

  1. "Whatever you do, do it well."



  2. "Of all the things I ever lost, I miss my mind the most."



  3. "The box says: 'Shut up Steve'."

About Me

My photo
Married with six children and 11 grandchildren. retired from USN in 1988 with 30 years of active service.

Monday, July 20, 2009

Amazing Facts!!! A Sale in July?

CongratulationsYou might think it a little presumptuous of me to congratulate myself on having made a sale, but the fact is that July sales for me on line have always been as rare as hens teeth so I am going to brag it up.

It's really not a large sale from a monetary point of view, but it is an item that I always liked and almost (remember I said almost) hate to see go.

Dogwood Legend "The legend of the Dogwood dates back to the crucifixion. Early lore likens the Dogwood petals, shaped like a cross and stained with red, to the Cross of Calvary"







Stetson China Dixie Dogwood Platter by JoniIt is a Stetson China Dixie Dogwood Platter by Joni. Stetson pottery also produced Blue Ridge-esque designs from 1946 to 1966. Stetson employed one of Southern Pottery’s most famous creators, Lena Watts. With her came many look-alike patterns. One of the most common “Blue Ridge” patterns that Stetson adopted was the “Southern Dogwood” pattern. Stetson’s version was often marked “Dixie Dogwood, Joni.” Like Blue Ridge, not all of Stetson’s wares were marked. But, in the case of Dixie Dogwood, there is one simple way to tell the difference. “Dixie Dogwood” has red “blood” dots on the ends of the petals. Blue Ridge “Southern Dogwood” doesn’t. Stetson China used decal transfers for its entire lifetime except for a three year period, 1954 - 1956, when it used hand painting exclusively. Most of the Blue Ridge like patterns were issued then. The "Joni" back stamp indicates ware that was created for "Joni" one of Stetsons largest jobber clients.
Update (08/07/09) More about jobbers: Jibber,Jabber,Jobber

I really must thank the buyer in Washington State for breaking up the monotony of the July doldrums.

I do have a few other Joni pieces in the store if you care to take a look.

Joni China at Quality Junk in Atomic Mall

Thanks for listening....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks old guy, you brightened my daughter's summer. She received dishes in the Dixie Dogwood pattern passed down to her from her grandmother who has passed away. I was looking for pieces she didn't have. We will keep an eye on your site.