My Favorite Quotes

  1. "Whatever you do, do it well."



  2. "Of all the things I ever lost, I miss my mind the most."



  3. "The box says: 'Shut up Steve'."

About Me

My photo
Married with six children and 11 grandchildren. retired from USN in 1988 with 30 years of active service.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

History on Pottery

California State Plate
I was just listing this beautiful Piece of California Memorabilia in my Atomic Mall Store when the thought crossed my mind that there is a tremendous amount of both American and world history that has been promulgated on various types of pottery. I decided to write a blog article and perhaps add to it as new items show up.

I was particularly excited by this plate for couple of reasons. First from a technical standpoint I believe this is the first Homer Laughlin wall plate I have seen that was issued on the Cavalier (Rim) Shape. I have seen plenty on their Rhythm (Coupe) Shape. The thing I found the most interesting however, was the number of actual little windows into California that are depicted on this single plate.

Here's a list of what I spotted:


  • Golden Gate Bridge - San Francisco Bay
  • Cable Car on Russian Hill - San Francisco
  • The Campanile - UC Berkeley
  • Rose Bowl - Pasadena
  • Palace of Fine Arts - San Francisco
  • Mt. Wilson Observatory
  • Water Sports - Surfing, Fishing, Swimming
  • Redwood Forest
  • Capitol Building - Sacramento
  • Movie Sets - Hollywood
  • Mission of San Carlos Borromeo - Carmel
  • Old Whaling Station - Monterrey
  • A Golden Map of the Golden State


I would have to say that they hit all the highlights and than some. Remember that this is just one plate. Literally thousands were issued over the years and potteries and decorators continue to crank out history even as it is being made today. Remember also, that plates are not the only pottery pieces on which history has been recorded. Plaques, Mugs, Bowls, Figurines and many others are also out there waiting to be found and admired.

I guess I should mention that this plate and others are on display and for sale in my store.

California Plate at Quality Junk in the Atomic Mall

Thanks for listening..... ☺☺☺

No comments: