My Favorite Quotes

  1. "Whatever you do, do it well."



  2. "Of all the things I ever lost, I miss my mind the most."



  3. "The box says: 'Shut up Steve'."

About Me

My photo
Married with six children and 11 grandchildren. retired from USN in 1988 with 30 years of active service.

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Swap Meet Pottery - Sheffield (USA), Mason's Ironstone

Swap Meet SignAnother Swap Meet Saturday for me. Not much there today, but I did find two things I felt were worth investing in.
A partial set of Sheffield (USA) Granada (Green) dinnerware and an absolutely wonderful Mason's Ironstone Bowl.

Sheffield Grenada Green Dinner Plate
First the Sheffield Grenada (Green), this is a very common pattern and normally I would not have been interested except that there were many serving pieces and the price was definitely right.

Homer Laughlin's Granada Shape was designed by Vincent Bloomfield in 1967. Grenada is easily recognized by the half circles around the edge. Grenada glazes were most often in colors that matched the popular yellow and green kitchens of the time. Granada was used extensively on patterns that were sold to distributors and jobbers and a variety of backmarks will be found including the Sheffield Mark seen here. Like this one, many patterns were one solid color with no other design except the embossing. Sheffield was a trademark of J & H International Company. Sheffield products were manufactured by a number of companies, both domestic and international and were almost exclusively used as supermarket premiums.

Here's the list of what there was:


  • 5 cup & saucer sets

  • 3 saucers

  • 1 Oval Platter 13 7/8"

  • 1 Sugar Bowl w/lid

  • 1 Creamer

  • 7 Dinner plates 10"

  • 7 Bread Plates 6 1/4"

  • 1 Salt & Pepper Set

  • 1 Round Covered Vegetable Bowl 7"

  • 1 Round Serving Bowl 9"

  • 9 Fruit/Berry Bowls 6"

Update (08/24/09) All of the above have been listed.

Here's what I have in the store:

Sheffield at Quality Junk in the Atomic Mall


Mason's Ironstone Iris Bowl

Last but certainly not least is a fantastic find for me on which I still have a great deal of research to do. It is a large Mason's Ironstone Bowl that was decorated in purple iris by Dame Elizabeth Blackadder and commissioned by the Royal Academy of Arts in a Limited Edition of 750. I believe these were probably sold to raise funds in the Royal Academy Gift Shop, but as I say I need to study it for a while.

(Update 08/26/09)
Royal Acadamy of the Arts Biography: Dame Elizabeth Blackadder

Staffordshire Info: Masons Ironstone China

(Update 09/07/09) Listed:

Mason's Blackadder Bowl at Quality Junk in the Atomic Mall



I was very glad that I had made the trip.

Thanks for listening... ☺☺☺☺

No comments: