My Favorite Quotes

  1. "Whatever you do, do it well."



  2. "Of all the things I ever lost, I miss my mind the most."



  3. "The box says: 'Shut up Steve'."

About Me

My photo
Married with six children and 11 grandchildren. retired from USN in 1988 with 30 years of active service.

Sunday, August 23, 2009

More Swap Meet Pottery - Cunningham & Picket (Homer Laughlin) Acacia Dinnerware

Swap Meet SignSunday morning and another trip to the swap meet. I spotted some china on a table in the second row that I was fairly certain was Homer Laughlin Eggshell Nautilus because the shape of the sugar bowl was unmistakable. When I picked up a creamer to verify it, my suspicions were confirmed. It had a very clear Eggshell Nautilus Mark with a 1942 date stamp. While I was checking the other pieces for damage (there wasn't any except for light wear), I found I had really hit the jackpot. Almost all of the flatware was double marked with a Cunningham and Pickett mark next to the Homer Laughlin.

Cunningham & Pickett Acacia Sugar BowlNot all Homer Laughlin China bears the Homer Laughlin backstamp. Having made many lines for other companies and department stores, some of the Homer Laughlin China out there is literally marked for other companies. Cunningham & Pickett (Alliance, Ohio) is one on the dozens of companies in this category. My impression is that they were a large Jobber, buying from the manufacturer and reselling to retail stores in their sales area.


Cunningham & Pickett Acacia BackmarkNot much problem finding out that the pattern was Acacia since it was clearly part of the Cunningham & Pickett mark (a common practice for this company). It is a striking orange and yellow floral design with geometric stripe. Markedly different from the pastel floral designs so common on eggshell designs of that period. Here's a list of what I scored for a very low price: (Update 08/28/09) Listed

  • 1 Sugar Bowl w/lid
  • 1 Creamer
  • 3 Dessert Plates
  • 5 Rimmed Soup Bowls
Here's a link to the Cunningham & Pickett that I have:

Cunningham & Pickett at Quality Junk in the Atomic Mall

Thanks for listening... ☺☺☺☺

No comments: