My Favorite Quotes

  1. "Whatever you do, do it well."



  2. "Of all the things I ever lost, I miss my mind the most."



  3. "The box says: 'Shut up Steve'."

About Me

My photo
Married with six children and 11 grandchildren. retired from USN in 1988 with 30 years of active service.

Saturday, August 08, 2009

Saturday Swap Meet Finds

Swap Meet Sign

An interesting morning at my favorite hangout. I bought a lot of merchandise which I will list for you later, but I want to tell you about the one that I didn't buy. Walking down one of the aisles I spotted a large table loaded with plates and bowls. Looking closer I saw that it was restaurantware and turning over one of the plates it was marked Wallace. Each piece was pink covered with white flowers completely up to the edges. I had seen this before and was almost positive that it was a line that Wallace had made specifically for the Hawaiian restaurant and hotel market back in the 50's. The designs were later copied by TEPCO sold with the same names. A big trademark lawsuit was filed and I think the result was that TEPCO had to change the names. There were almost 100 pieces, but almost all were flatware and cereal bowls. I have a Shadowleaf platter from Wallace that is a part of this line listed for $150.00, but I wasn't sure about the value of these common pieces. The dealer wanted $80.00 for the lot which I really didn't want to spend without more information, so I passed it by.

Wallace Wal6 Chop PlateAfter I got home I did the research. Couldn't find a lot except to verify what I already knew and find out that replacements designates the pattern as WAL6. Unfortunately I can't find much pricing information. I found a chop plate on ebay for $5.99. I think that is way under priced for this item, but I'm glad I didn't buy the lot. I'll see if the dealer wants to negotiate tomorrow if the china is still there.

Here's a shot of the Shadowleaf platter that I have in the store:
Wallace Shadow Leaf Platter

Wallace Shadow Leaf Platter


This is a typical example of how I learn things even when I don't buy the items. I need to start taking a small camera with me to take pictures of these items.

Now on to the items I did buy:

No comments: