My Favorite Quotes

  1. "Whatever you do, do it well."



  2. "Of all the things I ever lost, I miss my mind the most."



  3. "The box says: 'Shut up Steve'."

About Me

My photo
Married with six children and 11 grandchildren. retired from USN in 1988 with 30 years of active service.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Swap Meet Pottery - Otagiri, Lenox

Swap Meet SignWell another Wednesday Swap Meet and with the typical results. Not a thing on the field that I could even get interested in. Fortunately this swap meet has an area under the main drive-in movie screen with about 50 little garages which the dealers rent on a monthly basis. It's pretty convenient actually, they just keep there merchandise there and open the door on swap meet days.In fact when this Swap Meet was in its heyday 20 years ago I was renting five of those garages and 2 spaces on the field. Things are a lot quieter there now and the only thing that has gone up are the rents.

Anyway I usually pass these stores by as the sellers are usually much more expensive than those in the field spaces. Today I was getting a little desperate so I made a quick trip through them. I found two items that I decided to buy even though both were priced above my normal markup.

Lenox Rose Vase
Lenox Rosebud VaseThe first was a little 6" Lenox rose vase. It was in great condition and the price wasn't too bad. I know that Lenox (like everyone else in the U.S.A.) has started manufacturing offshore so I buy USA made just for sentimental purposes. I was surprised when I got home and tried to find it on line. I looked at over 400 Lenox vases and saw nothing that even resembled the shape much less the design. I don't think it's very old so I am wondering if it's just too new to have found it's way into the secondary market yet. Here's what I have in the store:



Historical Data -- Lenox is the name of a porcelain maker. Walter Scott Lenox and Jonathan Coxon, Sr., founded the Ceramic Art Company in Trenton, New Jersey, in 1889. In 1906, Lenox left and started his own company called Lenox. The company makes a porcelain that is similar to Irish Belleek. Their superior dinnerware has made the company famous. Lenox was bought by Department 56 in 2005. If you want a complete picture of Lenox history try this:

Lenox Company History


Otagiri Hen & Rooster Bookends
Otagiri Rooster BookendsThe next item I was more familiar with and willing to pay more for. It was a pair of Otagiri Rooster & Hen Bookends (circa late 70's - early 80's). Otagiri did a wide variety of these over the years and I find them to be quality art. I have a pair of Pheasants in the store right now and they are going to sit on my fireplace mantel until they are sold. I don't see anyone offering the Rooster & Hen set right now. Here's my current inventory:

Otagiri at Quality Junk in the Atomic Mall.


Historical Data -- Otagiri Manufacturing Company, more commonly called OMC, was based out of San Francisco. Products by Otagiri were manufactured in Japan. In the mid-1990s, Otagiri was sold to Enesco Corporation.
Thanks for listening.... ☺☺☺☺

No comments: