My Favorite Quotes

  1. "Whatever you do, do it well."



  2. "Of all the things I ever lost, I miss my mind the most."



  3. "The box says: 'Shut up Steve'."

About Me

My photo
Married with six children and 11 grandchildren. retired from USN in 1988 with 30 years of active service.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Painting the Bridge - Keeping Up With All This Pottery

Bridge You are probably wondering just what the heck does this bridge have to do with my pottery collection/business. Here's the deal. I have thousands of pieces of pottery and over 2000 listings on Atomic Mall. This is an arena where prices are constantly changing and new information is always surfacing. I found it to be totally confusing and subject to making many mistakes to try and keep up with all of this on a piecemeal basis. Than one day I saw a documentary about bridge painters. It seems that all large bridges are maintained by starting at one end and working straight through to the other. By the time they are finished it is time to start over again. It made a lot of sense and it occurred to me that this was a very logical method that could easily be applied to updating my pottery.

I started by going through item by item, alphabetically, updating prices, correcting or adding to descriptions where appropriate and checking photos that needed to be improved on. I finished my first run through in three months and am just starting through again. Just to make things interesting I sorted by value this time, starting with the highest and working through to the lowest. This seems to be a great system and every time I get frustrated I just remind myself that I am painting the bridge and that it isn't going anywhere. It calms me down and lets me walk away from the computer and relax once in a while. Knowing that the job will never be done keeps me from trying to complete it before I go to bed each night.

In a nutshell it allows me to mix business with pleasure and not feel guilty about it. Don't ask me why I wrote this post. Just because I felt like it. LOL

Thanks for listening.... ☺☺☺☺

No comments: