My Favorite Quotes

  1. "Whatever you do, do it well."



  2. "Of all the things I ever lost, I miss my mind the most."



  3. "The box says: 'Shut up Steve'."

About Me

My photo
Married with six children and 11 grandchildren. retired from USN in 1988 with 30 years of active service.

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Swap Meet Pottery - Franciscan, Metlox, Danbury Mint, Royal Worchester, Royal (USA), NASCO (USA)

Swap Meet SignA great day at the swap meet today. This is the first time in a long time I have had to go back to pickup merchandise that I just couldn't carry the first time in my trusty vintage Kipling backpack. I just wish I didn't have so much cleanup to do on my listings to get into compliance with googles new Marketplace Policies, but I guess that's just the way it is. I won't get around to listing these for a while and there are some super items in this buy.

Franciscan Platinum Band (Encanto Shape)
Franciscan Platinum Trim Creamer-click for full size viewWell today I'm starting right off with the find of the day. A mixed lot of Franciscan Platinum Band Fine China from their Encanto (Coupe shape) Line. This pattern was also made in their Merced (Rim shape) Line. This lot was a steal. It had around $1000.00 in replacement value, but as soon as I unpacked it and turned my back one of my 4 legged stock room assistants broke the gravy boat so now it's only around $900.00. Still a bargain considering what I paid (Top Secret). I had a few choice words for the cat which I cannot repeat here because this is not an adult site. I haven't seen him since.

Platinum Band is the pattern name and it is just that. Ivory body with platinum trim and highlights, coupe shape. Issued from 1951 to 1981. Designed by Franciscan's design director Mary K. Grant.

This Lot now consists of 6 dinner plates, 8 cup sets, sugar bowl w/lid, creamer, 3 fruit bowls, 5 salad plates, 8 bread plates, an oval vegetable bowl and a 12" platter.

Historical Data -- Gladding, McBean and Company started in 1875. The company grew and acquired other potteries. They made sewer pipes, floor tiles, dinnerwares, and art pottery with a variety of trademarks. In 1934, dinnerware and art pottery were sold under the name Franciscan Ware. The company became Interpace Corporation and in 1979 was purchased by Josiah Wedgwood & Sons. The plant was closed in 1984 and all production was moved to England.

More Franciscan at Quality Junk in the Atomic Mall



Metlox Sculptured Zinnia
Metlox Sculptured Zinnia Divided Bowl - click for full size viewNext out of the box was a couple of pieces of Metlox Sculptured Zinnia. A round divided vegetable bowl and a 14 1/4" platter (This is the larger of the two platters in this pattern. Sculptured Zinnia was one on the patterns in the second group of traditional shapes issued by Metlox from their Poppytrail Division. In addition to the basic pattern, zinnia was also issued in three color variations Lavender Blue & Memories (both designed by Helen McIntosh) and Floralace (a citron yellow body with snow white flowers). Sculptured Zinnia was issued from 1964-1979.

A company brochure describes Sculptured Zinnia: "So bold and different, and understandably right in fashion, because flowers have always been used for beautiful table settings. The Zinnias are carved with minute attention to detail, and hand painted in the luxurious combination of yellow-gold, orange, greens, and browns, against a cream-white background."

I was particularly pleased to get these two pieces because I am a big fan of California Pottery and I have been sold out of Sculptured Zinnia for a long time.

Historical Data -- The beginning of Metlox Manufacturing Company dates back to 1927 in Manhattan Beach, Ca when Willis and T. C. Prouty became interested in producing the ceramic portion of neon signs.Metlox Manufacturing Company was incorporated in the state of California in 1933. Metlox Manufacturing Company's incorporation was terminated on January 4, 1988.

More Metlox at Quality Junk in the Atomic Mall



Danbury Mint Sailing Ship Tankards (10 different)
Danbury Mint Ship Tankard - click for full size viewThe first item I bought today was a box of ten different Danbury Mint Sailing Ship Tankards. Usually I steer clear of collectibles like these, but being an old sailor, I just couldn't resist the temptation.

So far I haven't found out much about these. From the bottom mark I know that there were 12 in the set so I am missing 2. Since I will offer them individually the missing items are no big deal. Also from the mark I know that the artist apparently was named Robert Devereaux and that the artwork appears to have been done on commission from Danbury Mint. I have not been able to find any information about him. Other than that I see a couple of the tankards offered on line but with no additional information.

The ten that I do have are: Bon Homme Richard, Cutty Sark, Sea Witch, Victory, Flying Cloud, Mayflower, Golden Hind, Santa Maria, Constitution and Half Moon.

Historical Data - The Danbury Mint is a world leader in the design and development of fine collectibles.

For over three decades, they have been serving the needs of collectors to acquire keepsakes of lasting meaning, beauty and importance. They take great pride and pleasure in presenting collectors and enthusiasts with a varied and ever-changing assortment of quality products.

*** This item was removed from my store as a gift to a friend. ***


Royal Worcester Cabbage Patch Kids Bowl
Royal Worcester Cabbage Patch Kids Bowl - click for full size viewNext, A Royal Worcester Cabbage Patch Kids Bowl. This is another item that I normally would have passed on, but I have a lot of memories of my wife making custom made clothes for these Cabbage Patch Dolls and selling them at our local swap meet when they were the "in" toy. I was surprised to see that this piece was mad by Royal Worcester. A company that I am very familiar with.

Historical Data -- Royal Worcester has been made by the Worcester Porcelain Company in Worcester, England from 1862 to present.

More Royal Worcester at Quality Junk in the Atomic Mall


Royal China (USA) Bucks County Dinner Plates
Royal China (USA) Bucks County Dinner Plate - click for full size view
I have sold Royal China Bucks County plates before and so I was more than happy to pick some up at a decent price. These are 10" diameter dinner plates and have a pastel yellow background with dark brown designs depicting early American farm life. Pennsylvania Dutch style flowers and dancers circle the rim.

Historical Data - Royal China operated in Ohio from 1934 to 1986. Royal was purchased by Jeanette Glass in 1969 but continued to operate with Royal marks.

More Royal China (USA) at Quality Junk in the Atomic Mall


NASCO (USA) Fascination Plates
NASCO USA Fascination Dinner Plate - click for full viewThose of you that have followed my blog for a while should know that I am a sucker for almost any pottery that I have never seen before or even better never heard of either, These plates are marked NASCO and while I have seen and sold lots of NASCO pottery in the past it has always been Japanese made. As a matter of note, this pattern was also made in Japan with an all white body instead of the mustard color.

More NASCO at Quality Junk in the Atomic Mall


As usual I will add pics and info as I research and list.
Thanks for listening...☺☺☺☺

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.