My Favorite Quotes

  1. "Whatever you do, do it well."



  2. "Of all the things I ever lost, I miss my mind the most."



  3. "The box says: 'Shut up Steve'."

About Me

My photo
Married with six children and 11 grandchildren. retired from USN in 1988 with 30 years of active service.

Monday, September 07, 2009

Pottery Sales - Harmony House & Williams Sonoma

thumb up A couple of more sales over the labor day weekend. I don't know why but in the five years I have been selling on line, sales have always nosedived in July & August and literally exploded upward in September. My theory has always been that summertime combined with daylight savings creates a situation where folks have a lot of daylight to play outside in after work and are not willing to sit in front of a computer surfing the net. When the weather is dreary or even bad, they are more inclined to stay indoors and play on their computers. Whatever the reason it seems to happen this way year after year, so I spend my summer sales slump trying to make all of my listings as attractive as possible for the rest of the year.


HARMONY HOUSE HONEY HEN

Harmony House Honey Hen Mark - click for full size viewHarmony House Honey Hen Dinner Plate - click for full size view

Sold a lot of four Harmony House Honey Hen Dinner Plates that were made for Sears by Taylor, Smith & Taylor. They are a bit unusual in that they have Taylor, Smith & Taylor and Harmony House backstamps. Usually pottery made for Harmony House does not have a manufacturers mark. I don't know when Honey Hen was first issued, but it was discontinued in 1963.

Historical Data -- In 1940, Sears introduced the Harmony House brand as an interior-decorating scheme that used four basic colors that could be coordinated with each other. (The year before, Sears catalogs featured "Charm House," a similar program.) Customers were encouraged to use a color wheel that was supplied in the catalog for coordinating colors. Eventually the color palette was expanded to 18 colors. The Harmony House style and color system was not merely limited to carpets and paints, either; the entire house could be furnished according to the colors. The Harmony House line of dinnerware was made for Sears & Roebuck by a number of companies including Hall China, Homer Laughlin, Salem China, Universal and Fine China of Japan among others. The Harmony House Line was discontinued in 1968.

More Harmony House at Quality Junk in the Atomic Mall

WILLIAMS SONOMA BOWL SET

Williams Sonoma Cheese Dipping Set - click for full size viewMy other sale was a boxed set of six Williams Sonoma cheese dipping bowls. I actually ended up selling these for almost the price of shipping them. I had made a mistake on the shipping cost and the difference ate up the profit. While these are beautiful bowls for your home party I really had no interest in them so I am glad to find them a good home.

Historical Data -- Founded in 1956, Williams-Sonoma has become a premier specialty retailer of home furnishings in the USA. They are well known and respected. they market in retail stores, by catalog and on the internet.


Enough for now. Thanks for listening....☺☺☺☺

No comments: