My Favorite Quotes

  1. "Whatever you do, do it well."



  2. "Of all the things I ever lost, I miss my mind the most."



  3. "The box says: 'Shut up Steve'."

About Me

My photo
Married with six children and 11 grandchildren. retired from USN in 1988 with 30 years of active service.

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Swap Meet Pottery - CAPSCO, Hoenig of California, Josefs Originals

Swap Meet SignQuick trip to the swap meet because today is football day and that takes precedence over business in this house. The Raiders - Chiefs game is tied 3-3 at the half. I think I have time for my old guy nap before the Chargers - Ravens game starts. In the order of importance nap takes precedence over non-chargers games.

Well, my nap is over and so is the Charger Game a hard fought battle, but in the end the Chargers couldn't overcome the injuries suffered in last weeks Raiders Game and we lost. But, as they say: "There's always next week."

Anyway, back to business. I didn't find much at the swap meet, but I did pick up a few things just to do some research on them.

CAPSCO Washington D.C. Wall Plate
click for full sizeDescription -- Rim shape. 10 3/4" diameter. Beautiful multicolored design on white body. Various Washington, D.C. landmarks on the sloping verge and the Capitol building in center. This is a great souvenir plate of the Capitol. Excellent used condition with no chips, cracks or crazing.

Historical Data -- Mr. Jacob Goozh immigrated from Europe to the U.S. in 1914. In coming years he started a photography business (The Empire Photo Studio), primarily serving tourists in the Washington, D.C. area. In 1931, the name was changed To The Capitol Souvenir Company (CAPSCO). The company contracted with many small pottery companies to produce his Washington D.C. Souvenirs and handled the production end of his post card company in house in the photo studio.

More CAPSCO at Quality Junk in the Atomic Mall


Hoenig of California Ashtray
Hoenig of California Ashtray - click for full size viewWalking back to start my second walkthru (I always go through twice just to make sure I didn't miss a seller who came in since my first run), I saw an unusual ashtray that I had to check out. Turns out it was a Hoenig of California piece that was hand painted by Vee Jackson. I have never had any Hoenig items so I had to buy it.
Description -- California Pottery. 10 1/2" diameter, avacado green with stylized gold waves. Hand decorated by Vee Jackson. Good used condition with no cracks or crazing, but there are two small chips in the foot ring have no impact on stability or appearance. "Lou Hoenig G9 Calif USA" incised under glaze on bottom. Additional mark "Hand Decorated" "Vee Jackson" California USA" stamped in gold. Fine example of Vintage California Pottery.

Historical Data -- I have been unable to find any information on Hoenig of California. Vee Jackson was a respected California Artist who appears to have designed or decorated ware for a number of Southern California potteris in the mid century.

Hoenig of California at Quality Junk in the Atomic Mall



Josefs Originals November Birthday Girl
click for full sizeI don't really know why I bought this last item. I'm not really into collectible figurines, but the seller was a garage saler and although I am familiar with Josefs Originals I have never had one and was uncertain about value. I figured it was worth the buck she was asking. It is a November Birthday Girl and very nice, unfortunately it has a small chip on the back of the flower basket which I had missed. I don't know if I'll list it or not, but I do want to do a little more research.


I'll add pictures and info as time permits.

Thanks for listening....

No comments: