My Favorite Quotes

  1. "Whatever you do, do it well."



  2. "Of all the things I ever lost, I miss my mind the most."



  3. "The box says: 'Shut up Steve'."

About Me

My photo
Married with six children and 11 grandchildren. retired from USN in 1988 with 30 years of active service.

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Poetry 101 - Circles of Life



I warned you that I would make some personal posts here from time to time. I am an occasional poet (I'll let you decide how good). This is a poem I wrote a few years ago for a friend whose cancer had just came back out of remission. She's still around and as far as I know doing OK. I just have an urge to share it with you. If you find some meaning that you enjoy feel free to copy it or share it with someone who it might help feel better.


Circles Of Life

Around each of us a circle flows.
It touches others as it grows.
All around its border line
Other circles try to dine.

Some join us in some little way
Others we see every day.
Some we never let inside
From a few we try to hide.

Constantly the circles spin
Some roll out and others in.
As life goes on some circles bust
Becoming ashes in the dust.

With a few we coincide
Then with others we collide.
Parts of our circle sacred are
In others rest some hidden scar.

Each circle must stand well alone
In order to another clone.
To want another circle”s fine
To need it though's a shaky line.

No circle should another chain
The more you touch the less you drain.
Some circles seem to come to you
Others you may need pursue.

Lose a few, win one or two
Always some will cling to you.
In every one does wisdom ride
Take what is good cast rest aside.

Fear not the day that you may die
For parts of you in others lie.

The Old Guy
23 Mar 2001
Thanks for listening.

4 comments:

Stephanie(Hennie) said...

Thanks for sharing your talents with us, I appriciate it. I think you should enter it in a contest of some sort. As I read it, it seemed to relate to my life as well, quess that`s why I can appriciate your talent.
Thanks Bill,
You Customer and friend
Stephanie

Bill said...

Thanks for the kind words. My Poetry is all about life. I have never considered publishing it commercially, but a contest - worth thinking about.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOUR POEM I THINK YOU SHOULD ENTER IT IN A CONTEST TO LOVE YOU SHORTSACK

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Bill and it hits home with me as well - I hope you have not stopped writing - you have a gift for it. Love ya', Barb