My Favorite Quotes

  1. "Whatever you do, do it well."



  2. "Of all the things I ever lost, I miss my mind the most."



  3. "The box says: 'Shut up Steve'."

About Me

My photo
Married with six children and 11 grandchildren. retired from USN in 1988 with 30 years of active service.

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Poetry 101 - What is the Light?

Poetry 101

This poem was more of a fleeting thought that I had on the trolley coming home from a hard day at work. Looking at it again after 10 years, I can't even remember all the underlying events that caused me to put these thoughts to paper. I'll let the reader decide if it makes any sense in their lives.


What Is The Light?

The mind of the light is encased in a shield
so hardened and tough no secrets does it yield.

Looking in, no one knows what her thoughts really mean.
blurry shadows, drifting smoke, no reality seen.

Why this hiding of feelings that run deep and true
what harm to revealing the desires that accrue.

does the mind of the light search far and wide
or does it look for the answers down deep inside.

but this mystery of light is all good and right
the secrets of light should be hidden out of sight.

The strength of the light is in the knowing it's there
not in the laying on the table of all there is to bare.

When doubts arise and show their ugly faces
remember that the light is here and not in other places.


The Old Guy
12 Mar 2001

No comments: