My Favorite Quotes

  1. "Whatever you do, do it well."



  2. "Of all the things I ever lost, I miss my mind the most."



  3. "The box says: 'Shut up Steve'."

About Me

My photo
Married with six children and 11 grandchildren. retired from USN in 1988 with 30 years of active service.

Sunday, October 04, 2009

Swap Meet Pottery - Nippon, Noritake, Fukagawa, W. German, Lenox, Harmony House

Swap Meet SignWell I'm still trying to catch up and apparently not doing very well at it, but at least I'm trying. I did get to the Swap Meet Sat and today and picked up a few goodies. I'll just list them here and plug in the details as I have time. I'll get the pics and details posed later.

Noritake Nippon "The Yukon" Creamer
Noritake The Yukon Creamer - Click for full size viewWhen I spotted this creamer I knew that it was early 1900's. Noritake did a number of patterns in that time from tht for some reason started with "The". I have seen "The Kiva" before but this is a new one on me. I had to have it even thought the trim was badly worn. I suppose I will be too when I reach 100 years old.
Description -- All white body with gold trim. 3" high, 8 Oz capacity. Discontinued circa 1912. Very Good used condition Except for heavy trim wear. Current replacement value $19.99.
Historical Data -- The Noritake Company was established in the village of Noritake near Nagoya Japan by Baron Morimura in January 1904. Today it is one of the premier makers of fine China in the world.

More Noritake at Quality Junk in the Atomic Mall


Fukagawa Arita Gold Bamboo Bud Vases
Fukagawa Gold Bamboo Vases - Click for full size viewA few minutes later I saw a pair of Fukagawa Gold Bamboo Bud Vases. These are a part of the extensive Gold Bamboo dinnerware set.
Description -- Arita, Pattern 901. 5 1/4" tall. Handpainted Gold & Gray bamboo trees on white body with gold trim. Excellent used condition with no chips, cracks or crazing. Estimated replacement value $12.99 each.
Historical Data -- In 1894 the modern Fukagawa company was founded in Arita by Chuji Fukagawa, with the Fukagawa mark of Mount Fuji and a stream, as its trade mark. The Fukagawa company has served as purveyor for the Japanese Imperial Household since 1910 and only produces white true high temperature porcelain.

More Fukagawa at Quality Junk in the Atomic Mall


West German Stein
West German Stein - click for full size viewThis little Stein is something I would normally not be too interested in, but the bottom mark caught my attention. Normally items I have seen from West Germany are marked "West Germany" or W. Germany" or identified by the zone they are in "American Zone", but this one is inscribed "Germany Western" and I wanted to research it a little.
Description -- Medieval scenes in vivid colors Castles & Palaces. Twisted tree limb handle. No chips, cracks or crazing excellent used condition except for the top which needs cleaning. 4 1/2" tall x 2" opening diameter x 2 1/4" foot ring. Bottom inscribed "Made in Germany Western". I would guesstimate this as a 60's item.

Western Germany Stein at Quality Junk in the Atomic Mall



Lenox Temperware Sprite Lot
Lenox Sprite Roaster - click for full size viewWhen I first saw this lot of Lenox Sprite Temperware I passed on it because I have a fairly large inventory of Temperware pieces and they haven't generated a lot of interest, but as I was leaving I took asecond look and ask for a price. It was a giveaway and the three serving pieces made it a super deal so I had to buy.
Description -- Temperware Line. Brown edge rings on a light brown body. Decorated pieces in this pattern have stylized, multicolored flowers and butterflies. Issued from 1974 - 1981. Historical Data -- Lenox is the name of a porcelain maker. Walter Scott Lenox and Jonathan Coxon, Sr., founded the Ceramic Art Company in Trenton, New Jersey, in 1889. In 1906, Lenox left and started his own company called Lenox. The company makes a porcelain that is similar to Irish Belleek. Lenox was bought by Department 56 in 2005. The marks used by the firm have changed through the years and collectors prefer the earlier examples. (Source - Kovels)

Here's a list of pieces: 8 Bread Plates, Creamer, Covered Sugar Bowl, Round Casserole w/Handles, 4 Saucers.

More Lenox at Quality Junk in the Atomic Mall


Harmony House Starlight
Harmony House Starlight Platter - click for full size viewI also found a couple of Harmony House Starlight Pieces, an oval serving bowl & a large oval platter. I have a number of pieces in this pattern including the platter, but the price was right and condition great. Usually Harmony House pieces do not have a manufacturers mark and this is no exception. However, I am fairly certain that this set was made by Seyei as it is identical to their Majesty #4976 pattern and the pieces are interchangable. Starlight was issued around 1963.
Historical Data -- In 1940, Sears introduced the Harmony House brand as an interior-decorating scheme that used four basic colors that could be coordinated with each other. (The year before, Sears catalogs featured "Charm House," a similar program.) Customers were encouraged to use a color wheel that was supplied in the catalog for coordinating colors. Eventually the color palette was expanded to 18 colors. The Harmony House style and color system was not merely limited to carpets and paints, either; the entire house could be furnished according to the colors.
The Harmony House line of dinnerware was made for Sears & Roebuck by a number of companies including Hall China, Homer Laughlin, Salem China, Universal and Fine China of Japan among others. The Harmony House Line was discontinued in 1968.

More Harmony House at Quality Junk in the Atomic Mall



For now, thanks for listening....☺☺☺☺

No comments: